May/June Kids Volunteer Page
By Lauren Lee, Mom and Non-Profit Explorer
Summer is un-officially upon us. Heading into Memorial Day – we have FINALLY made it to all things warm and sunny! This warm weather brings out the best types of helping – often out of doors! Let’s dive into some good ideas!
Meet me at the car wash, yeah! Yes, it’s easier to run your car through a fancy machine but it’s also a BLAST to have a car wash with friends! Organize one locally in a school or church parking lot. Let’s get scrubbing!
- Pick an organization you want to support – plan to donate some or all of your car wash proceeds!
- Gather up car washing supplies (soap, sponges, squeegees, towels, water source, etc.)
- Advertise your car wash! Flyers, word of mouth and social media could be helpful.
- Charge a fee to pay for the cost of the fancy wash!
- HOLD CAR WASH! Wash wash wash! Have fun! Wear clothes that can get wet.
- Collect money and donate to your cause!
Key Chains & Bracelets
I know it might seem silly but everyone loves a homemade craft! Especially when it’s for a cause! So – pick a cause, make some bracelets and key-chains and call it a day!
- Gather a group of friends who want to make crafts for a cause!
- Gather materials (beads, key chain holders, gimp, string, clasps)
- Create! Create! Create! Have fun with your friendship bracelets, and key chains!
- Sell the crafts/keychains at a table at your school/church/neighborhood!
Lemonade stands are seriously the best! Who doesn’t love a bunch of kids on a corner with handmade signs selling this sweet and sour drink?
- Pick the local community organization you want to help. Make signs for your stand explaining about the organization so people know all about it!
- Grab a table, some chairs and lemonade making materials (lemons, sugar, water, ice, etc.)
- Place your awesome stand on a busy corner in your neighborhood or a summer pool/fair!
- Have the event! Sell some lemonade!
- Donate some or all of the proceeds to the charity of your choice! Cheers!
Father’s Day Cards
June 17th is Father’s Day! Dad’s sometimes get second place after Mother’s Day, so let’s shower them with love
- Pick an organization that you want to donate some or all of the proceeds to. Bonus if it helps dads or parents locally.
- Gather materials for card making (paper, envelopes, stamps, markers/pens, washi tape, etc.)
- Hold a time to make the cards with friends!
- Advertise your sale – neighborhood listserves, school, etc.
- Sell cards for a good price and make some money to donate!
Need some INSPIRATION? What sort of fun un-official holidays are coming up to get your creative juices flowing? Here’s a small list of the coming months!
May is: Foster Care Month,National BBQ Event
May 25th – National WIne Day
May 27th – Sunscreen Day
May 30th – Water a Flower Day
June is: Gay Pride Month, Fresh Fruit & Veggies Month
June 4th – Cheese Day
June 7th – Chocolate Ice Cream Day
June 8th – Best Friends Day
June 13th – National Weed Your Garden Day
June 19th – Juneteenth
Send us your pictures and let us know how you served our community this month. We love hearing from you!For more ideas, suggestions or to share your experience, email Heather@SilverSpringCares.org.
Lauren Lee is a Silver Spring resident and mom to three amazing little people. She recently stepped down as President of Northwest Branch Pool where she bravely served for six years. Even as a Silver Spring native, Lauren is always impressed by the amazing people she meets doing amazing things here in our community and loves to write about it for Silver Spring Cares.